Image Map

13.1.14

TV Muse: Roswell (1999)

 Roswell or Bust.

When I was 11 years old I used to lie awake at night clicking through T.V. channels until four in the morning. Insomnia? No. Strange addictions to crappy television shows? Yes.
With that being said, aliens have always had a special place in my life. I used to sit for hours watching UFO reenactment shows on the Travel Channel until I'd fall asleep. Preoccupied by conspiracy theories, I was determined that there was something out there- and that someone was HIDING THE TRUTH FROM US. 

Anyways, during my preteens I vaguely remembered an alien based show called Roswell on The WB playing after 7th Heaven, yet I never really gave it a go until my last few years of high school. Best decision ever.


Welcome to Roswell, New Mexico.  Liz Parker and her best friend Maria are two teenagers stuck working at a podunk touristy restaurant when one day a fight breaks out among two truckers (of sorts). A bullet fatally strikes through Liz, that is until Max Evans (a mysterious boy from high school) steps in and magically heals her wound amid the chaos. 

Liz later goes on to search for the truth behind Max's healing power, discovering that him and his two friends (siblings) are indeed ALIENS. Oh - and the kicker? Her current boyfriend's father is the town sheriff, determined to find ALIENS and exterminate them. Amazing, right? 


This show is a classic love story between an extraterrestrial and a human being. It's got the Twin Peaks mystery vibe going on - but a bit more hip and current (1999-2002). Familiar faces appear, like Shiri Appleby (Girls), Katherine Heigl (Grey's Anatomy), and Michael Horse (Twin Peaks). It's the perfect teen drama with a sci-fi flare that would make most real sci-fi nerds want to reject humanity. It's basically Twilight

(outfit inspo much???)

So obviously the show is really bad - did we get to that yet? But that is what makes it so good. It is probably the ONLY show that truly represents my curated early 2000s millennial vibes. Remember when everyone was so excited to be in a shiny new era? How everything was suddenly "metallic" inspired? How we were all so intrigued with believing in aliens and discovering outer space - that is - before NASA stopped getting funds?? This time period was such a hyper materialistic moment, right before 9/11 and the start of the U.S.A's ongoing economic depression. It was beautiful.

I love this show for it's insanity, it's indulgence. Roswell ,New Mexico is the center of all my visions associated with this outlier of a time.  


The first two seasons of this show are PRIME.  Later it gets a bit weird and tangent-y, but I highly suggest watching it. You owe it for nostalgia's sake! Let yourself melt into a world of silver and neon green, desert valleys, and hot teen pheromones. 

P.S. Shout out to the hunky Jason Behr (Max) who was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota! 


Hope you guys enjoyed this T.V. Muse (will this be a new thing?).

Keep it cool!
-Lauren Rose 
Curbside Fashion

(P.P.S. all screen caps are from the Pilot episode!)

4 comments:

  1. I really like all the tv muse posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lauren, I just wanted to say I have been watching your videos for at least a year or 2 and they are amazing such as yourself. I miss you and your videos on youtube. I may be a teenager but I love the 90s. A lot and my all time fave tv show is Roswell. I have watched that that show on repeat more than any other tv show I have seen. I had started watching Freaks and Geeks and I watch tons of movies from the 70s - 90s. One of my favorite movies is The Craft and ...man I love the 90s and I wish there are more people like you on youtube and blogs and...in this day's society. Anyways, I just think you are the coolest person ever. Peace :).

      Delete
  2. P.S. I always had a thing for the paranormal and it was especially UFOs ...and Bigfoot. I couldn't believe that we are the only species when there is a whole universe out there. Also, Season 3 was my least favorite.

    ReplyDelete